Monday, November 16, 2015

What I have learned while writing my book...


Lets start with the fact that I am a stay at home mom and what I do on a daily basis.
  • cook
  • clean
  • run my house
  • homeschool my children
  • help my husband with his job 
Now, lets  go with the author, reader, blogger me.

This is my second blog. I own one for books I read only and other authors, Hot Girls Read. It has been an eye opener for sure. I have learned that not everyone's business ethics are the same. Neither are what they are capable of doing. Learning that has not only upset me and caused me stress, but it was my fault due to the fact that I wasn't seeing things for what they really are.

Next being an author. It takes a lot of hard word. Yeah, I wrote a book. I have been over and over my story. I have checked and rechecked the book then I sent it to the editor. I am still making sure that one last read over my someone who has not seen it, to check for any error. 

Self-publishing:
  • writing to book
  • cover art or photo or cover model
  • cover designer
  • editor
  • promotions
  • paperbacks
  • formating
  • copyright
  • events
  • signings 
  • swag
The list goes on and on.

The there is the topic of having a Virtual Personal Assistant. Let me tell you what, that right there is tricky. There are things a Virtual Personal Assistant should be able to do. 
  1. Update Facebook page and Twitter account with teasers, sales, and other promotional items related to the author's work. (All teasers and other promotional graphics will be provided by the author. Any other graphics must be approved by the author before posting.)
  2. Maintain calendar for the author (blog takeovers, promotional events, and other miscellaneous items).
  3. Keep track of giveaways. PA will be responsible for sending out and/or gifting copies of author's ebook(s) to winner of any giveaways he or she has donated to. PA will also be responsible for tracking addresses of winners of swag items, such as bookmarks, etc. and deliver a spreadsheet of this information to the author once a week.
  4. Answer questions from fans as reasonable, regarding future releases, promotional events, signings, etc. or forward inquiry to the author for a response.
  5. Assist author in organizing tasks  for her street team, including sharing posts made on the author's FB fan page with the street team for them to share on FB and twitter.
  6. Other tasks as may be necessary.
Now here is where it can be tricky. This is an unpaid, volunteer position for the time being, with the understanding if the book takes off it could turn into a paid position. You will have access to the author's work and other sway items, including signed paperbacks, at no cost to you in exchange for your help. 

My issues is how can you have someone who wants to be your Virtual Personal Assistant who is unwilling to help you. That seems only there for the good stuff. Yeah, that really does not sound like a good assistant. 

I have made some changes and hopefully all for the best. I hate the name Virtual Personal Assistant, but I have an author assistant who is willing to help me and my book. So, I am happy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment